Villages: Autignac



Until 1307 the town had been established on the site of BELLOC, where a "castrum" (fortified place) stood. At this point the inhabitants, terrified by the ravages of the plague, abandoned the village and re-established themselves further north. It was there that Raymond D'Albignac et de Margon constructed his fortified castle. In 1788, the population set fire to the castle as well as the church, the latter being totally restored in 1899.



Sites of Interest

  • Chateau de Savit mentioned in 1142, plus remains of a gate from 17th century.
  • Roman villas * : la Jasse etc.
  • Modern parish church
  • Fortifications of the Bastide, still discernible.
  • * Those have disappeared.


Activities and Economy

  • Tennis
  • Stadium
  • Agricultural co-operative, founded between 1936 - 1937
  • Co-operative for Distillation, a subsidiary which undoubtedly will disappear in favour of the U.A.C.D : "Union of Agricultural Co-operatives of the Montserrier Olonzac Distillery".
  • Wine: Comte Altinhac Vintage A.O.C, red; Faugères A.O.C, red; Côteaux du Languedoc A.O.C, red and rosé.

General Information

  • Population: 1018
  • Altitude : 157m
  • Excellent value for money restaurant
  • Following shops and amenities: grocer, baker, butcher, tabac, schools, notary, library
  • Group of experts able to produce reports on structural condition, termite infestations, lead and asbestos
  • Wine cellars of the excellent Faugères appelation.

View Larger Map

Getting There


From Montpellier, take the exit for Beziers-East/Beziers-Centre, then drive towards the town centre until you see a sign for Bédarieux. Autignac is 20 minutes drive north of Béziers just off the D909 travelling towards Bédarieux.